Frequently Asked Questions
Oct 25, 2020 - 03:22pm
Frequently Asked Questions Errors and Error Messages
You have exceeded your license limits...
Rate This FAQ
(Not yet rated)
Created On: 20 May 2002 11:04 am
Last Edited: 11 Apr 2011 11:27 am
Logged in as sysop, I see something like:
You have exceeded your license limits (of 5,000 pageviews per day) for 2 days. You have 8 grace days left before the server starts shutting down when the license limits are reached each day. Please purchase and install a new license.
- Should I be concerned?
- Will my server shut down after I hit the 10 day limit?
- Will the message go away?
- I swear there is no way I exceeded my page views. Web Crossing must be broken.
- I am looking at my usage counter for today, and it says the page views are well under my daily maximum. Web Crossing must be broken.
- Should I be concerned: if this only happened once or twice over a long period of time, then it was likely due to a transient spike in your users visits to your site. Perhaps a hot topic of conversation, etc. If however you continue to see the grace days decrease, then you should look into #4 below and/or upgrading your license to deal with the increased traffic on your site.
- Server Shutdown: No. server or cluster is permitted to exceed its license for 10 days without any impact on service. After 10 days of exceeding the license, the server or cluster will stop serving more than the licensed number of pages, putting up an error page instead.
- Will the message go away: No. However only sysops see this message. It is a reminder of your current license status. The grace day counter also does not reset or revert.
- I swear there is no way I exceeded my page views. Web Crossing must be broken.: the page view counters are well tested and proven. Most confusion comes from not understanding what counts as a page view (see here). It is also possible you aren't properly managing your site with a robots.txt file to deal with spiders, and/or restriciting the IPs of ill behaved spiders (see here), or that you our your ISP using monitoring software to verify site up time and is incorrectly fetching pages that count towards your page views.
- I am looking at my usage counter for today, and it says the page views are well under my daily maximum. Web Crossing must be broken: most of the time sysops see this message from an event that occured the day prior or several days/weeks ago if you don't log in as sysop often. The Page View Equivalents chart shows counts for today, and month-to-date.