Frequently Asked Questions
Nov 28, 2020 - 06:42pm
Frequently Asked Questions Installation, Configuration and Related Error Messages
Why did my Database get Corrupted?
Rate This FAQ
(Not yet rated)
Created On: 30 Sep 1999 1:48 pm
Last Edited: 27 May 2005 9:48 am
What are the causes of a corrupted database?
webx.db is the Web Crossing Database file. This file is nearly always being updated. Interrupting Web Crossing without a proper graceful shutdown can corrupt the database.
For example, but not limited to:
- Power Failure.
- Hardware problems...most typically flakey disk drives, sometimes bad memory modules..same as with any software.
- Forcing Web Crossing to shut down improperly (kill -9 rather than make-quit).
- Web Crossing dies due to other system process(es) crashing and taking WebX with them.
- A reboot without prior proper WebX shutdown (assuming your system doesn't try to shut webx down normally by default).
- Multiple instances of WebX attempting to access the same database.
- Insufficient available sytem memory or disk space or heavy virtual memory "thrashing".
- Extremely low cache settings for a large and/or very active database ("Memory Usage").
- Restoring webx.db directly from a system backup and not via Web Crossing generated backup files (webxdb.NN and webxroll.NN).
See also "Back Up and Recovery".